Chicken and Root Vegetable PotpieJanuary 21, 2018
- 3 cup Chicken and Root Vegetable Potpie
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 cup cubed peeled baking potato
- 1 cup cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup cubed peeled celeriac
- 1 cup slices parsnip
- 290 g frozen pearl onions
- 454 g skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour , divided
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large Dutch oven.
- Add peas and next 5 ingredients (through onions) to pan, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 6 minutes.
- Add chicken, cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from broth with a slotted spoon, place in a large bowl.
- Increase heat to medium. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife.
- Place all but 1 tablespoon flour in a medium bowl, gradually add milk to bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- Add milk mixture to broth, cook for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken mixture, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon flour on a work surface, roll dough into a 13 x 9-inch rectangle.
- Place dough over chicken mixture, pressing to seal at edges of dish.
- Cut small slits into dough to allow steam to escape, coat dough lightly with cooking spray.
- Place dish on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 16 minutes or until pastry is browned and filling is bubbly.