Chicken and Wild Rice SoupJanuary 21, 2018
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking wild rice
- Cooking spray or oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled baking potato
- 3 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/3 cup All purpose flour
- 285 g light processed cheese, cubed
- 2 cup chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray or oil.
- Add onion and garlic, saute 3 minutes. Add broth and potato, bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Combine milk and flour, stirring well with a whisk. Add the milk mixture to potato mixture, cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, add cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Stir in rice, chicken, pepper, and salt. Garnish with parsley, if desired.