Chicken Barley Soup with Walnut PestoJanuary 21, 2018
- 5 bacon slices, choppeds
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 2 portobello mushroom caps, choppeds
- 1.5 kg whole chicken, skinned
- 1 thyme sprig
- 2 liters cold waters
- 225 g Swiss chard
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Granny Smith apple
- 1 habanero pepper
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms to pan, cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Place chicken and thyme in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cover with 4 1/2 quarts(liters) cold water, bring to a simmer. Skim fat from surface, discard.
- Remove stems and center ribs from Swiss chard. Coarsely chop stems and ribs, reserve leaves.
- Add stems, ribs, and next 5 ingredients (through apple) to pan, bring to a simmer.
- Pierce habanero with a fork, add to pan. Cook 35 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from pan, cool slightly. Remove chicken from bones, chop meat.
- Discard bones, thyme sprig, and habanero. Strain barley mixture through a sieve over a bowl.
- Reserve 4 cups of broth for another use. Return remaining 6 cups broth to pan, bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes.
- Return chicken and barley mixture to pan, bring to a simmer. Add mushroom mixture. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
- To prepare pesto, cook Swiss chard leaves in boiling water 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water, drain.
- Place leaves, walnuts, and remaining ingredients in a food processor, process until smooth. Serve with soup.